As the Rugby World Cup captivates us, many South Africans will be glued to their TV screens to cheer on the Springboks. While the excitement is palpable, excessive TV watching can result in poor sitting postures, leading to back pain, neck pain, and other physical issues. Here’s a quick guide on how to mitigate these risks.
📺 Common TV-Watching Postures to Avoid:
- Forward Head: This occurs when your head leans forward, usually because the TV is higher than your head height.
- Rounded Shoulders: Characterized by slumping your shoulders forward.
- Slumped Sitting: You sit on your sacrum/coccyx bone instead of your glutes.
- Neck Rotation: Lying on your back while turning your neck to the side to watch the screen.
💡 Preventive Measures:
- Get Up and Move: Use halftime or ad breaks to stand up, move around, and stretch.
- Seat Position: Ensure your glutes are pushed to the back of the seat for proper lower back posture.
- TV Placement: The screen should be at mid-vision height and directly in front of you.
- Back Support: Keep your upper back and shoulders against the back cushion.
- Limit Device Usage: Using a smartphone or laptop simultaneously can worsen your posture.
🤸♂️ Halftime Stretches:
- Neck Stretch: Turn your head left, then right, bring your chin to your chest, and tilt your head backwards.
- Upper Back Stretch: Clasp your hands behind your head and tilt your sternum upward.
🔗 Additional Tips:
- Use a small pillow for lumbar support.
- Keep your feet flat on the ground.
- Consider seated leg lifts and ankle rotations during longer viewing periods.
Remember, while the games may be short-lived, the impact on your posture can last much longer if not addressed. Let’s enjoy the Rugby World Cup while also taking care of our spinal health. 🏆🇿🇦
#Springboks #RugbyWorldCup #Posture #HealthTips #SpinalHealth
- November 2023 (5)
- October 2023 (4)
- September 2023 (4)
- April 2023 (1)
- February 2023 (1)
- January 2023 (2)
- November 2022 (1)
- October 2022 (1)
- August 2022 (2)
- July 2022 (1)
- June 2022 (2)
- May 2022 (2)
- April 2022 (1)
- March 2022 (1)
- January 2022 (1)
- December 2021 (2)
- November 2021 (1)
- October 2021 (2)
- September 2021 (1)
- August 2021 (2)
- July 2021 (2)
- June 2021 (2)
- May 2021 (2)
- April 2021 (2)
- March 2021 (2)
- February 2021 (1)
- January 2021 (2)
- December 2020 (2)
- September 2020 (1)
- July 2020 (1)
- June 2020 (4)
- June 2016 (1)
Biokineticist biokinetics breastfeeding breathing; wellness; health; physiotherapy; biokinetics Chronic Pain Covid-19 exercise fitness guideline health History of Samantha Dunbar home training Injuries Injury mental health Pain pain management physical activity physiotherapy Rehabilitation relax Replacements rest return to sport Samantha Dunbar self care shoulder pain sinus Sleep sleep hygeine take care Tips tips for shoulder health wellness Women's Health