There are many benefits to engaging in exercise classes including peer support, exercise correction and some good old fashion fun. We offer a variety of classes aimed at improving your overall function in a constructive, facilitated and safe environment.
Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, we are running some of our classes online to ensure the safety of our patients and to limit possible exposure to the virus. If you are interested in doing online classes during this time, we will gladly help. You and your partner or family can all get involved and do the classes together to make it fun! We can do Pilates based exercise classes as well as general strength and conditioning. Our biokineticists are knowledgeable and can tailor a class specific to your needs and physical goals.
We offer hour-long back classes that are specific to those who experience back pain or have had a previous back injury and surgical intervention. Our biokineticist will assess you first and do a few one on one rehabilitation sessions before suggesting you attend a class. This is to ensure that you are strong enough for the group class and to decrease your risk of reinjury while in the group setting. The classes focus on cardiovascular fitness, functional movements as well as core stability exercises. Each class is different and uses different types of equipment to ensure that you get the most out of the classes as well as ensuring variety.
Pilates is a low impact exercise that aims to strengthen muscles while improving postural alignment and flexibility.
Each Pilates class is 45 minutes long. A biokineticist or physiotherapist with a background in Pilates will assess you and possibly do a few one-on-one Pilates based sessions before suggesting you attend a class. This is to ensure that you are strong enough for a group class and to decrease your risk of injury while in the group setting.
The classes focus on core strength as well as flexibility, and emphasizes the mind-body connection. Each class is different and uses different types of equipment to ensure that you get the most out of the classes and to ensure variety.
What are the benefits of Pilates?
What we know
- Low – impact but challenging form of exercise.
- Improves muscle strength and tone throughout the whole body.
- Improves flexibility.
- Enhances muscular control of your body.
- Improves stabilisation of your spine.
- Improves postural alignment.
- Helps rehabilitate and prevent injury.
- Improves co-ordination and balance.
- Improves body-awareness and builds a mind-body connection.
- Improves oxygenation and lung volumes.
- Improves concentration.
- Assists with stress management and relaxation.
Who is Pilates beneficial for?
Is Pilates for you?
- EVERYONE! Pilates can be adapted to each individual’s needs and strength.
- Individuals with current back or neck pain and/or a history of back or neck injury.
- Individuals struggling with pelvic floor dysfunction, such as incontinence or prolapse.