Neurological Physiotherapy and Biokinetics involves the treatment of people with movement and function disorders that have originated from problems within the body’s nervous and neuromuscular system.
These conditions often present themselves as muscle weakness, poor balance and coordination, uncontrolled muscle spasm and tremors, loss of function and decreased sensation.
Our team of highly trained physiotherapists and Biokineticists are experts in the treatment of all neurological conditions and they will provide one on one treatment.
The brain is able to both lose and form new connections, a phenomenon called neuroplasticity. Neurophysiotherapy is different from traditional physiotherapy in that it takes advantage of this phenomenon, helping the brain to form new synaptic connections. In effect, it rewires the brain to learn or re-learn tasks and abilities.
Neurological Physiotherapy and Biokinetics are able to kick-start the message pathways that your brain is struggling to use, to make new pathways through repetitive actions and exercises.
A Biokineticist can prescribe safe and effective exercises based on an individual’s needs.
Neurological conditions that could benefit from Physiotherapy and Biokinetics:
- Alzheimer’s disease.
- Cerebrovascular disease (such as strokes and migraines).
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Traumatic disorders of the nervous system due to head trauma.
- Cerebral palsy.
Your treatment programme is specific to you and based on your goals identified during your initial assessment session. These may include:
- Posture awareness.
- Sitting balance.
- Walking practice.
Benefits of exercise in neurological conditions:
- Improved range of motion.
- Retrain normal patterns of movement.
- Improved ability with everyday activities.
- Increased muscle strength.
- Improved motor fine skills, posture and balance.
- Better quality of life.
- Reduced pain.
- Improved mental health.
- Better cognitive function.
- Improved memory.
- Reduces stress, anxiety and depression.
- Increased energy, focus and attention.
- Improved blood circulation.
- Achieve maximum potential.