Our role as physiotherapists and biokineticists are not just limited to assisting patients within our practises, but to also help those who require our services in lower income areas. We believe that it is also our responsibility to holistically treat people and to include preventative strategies to our approach of treatment. Our main projects are done in partnership with Lion Park Primary School and Thabo Mbheki Day care centre which are facilities located on the outskirts of Cosmo City.
Lion Park School
The focus is less on relaxation, and more on injury prevention and treatment, stretching and flexibility.
Lion Park Primary School, is located in the Thabo Mbheki village and has a pupil role of 1172 from grades 1-7, majority of which reside in the surrounding informal settlements with poor socio economic conditions. Every week our physiotherapists and biokineticists conduct group sessions which are aimed at promoting and improving the following:
- Health awareness and education.
- Strength training and conditioning.
- Balance and co-ordination.
- Assisting sporting coaches and teachers to prepare for competitions.
- Assisting in developing the schools sporting infrastructure.
Thabo Mbeki Day-care centre
The Thabo Mbheki Day-care centre is also located within the Thabo Mbheki village and has about 30 children aged 0-6 years old. The facility is an NGO which is run by Mr Jeffery Mabadi. The team at Samantha Dunbar Inc assist the facility with the following:
- Assisting with food supplies to ensure proper nutrition.
- Promoting and devolving fine and gross motor skills.
- Assisting staff with educational materials and games.
- Food garden project.
- Assisting with security of the premises.
- Assisting with water supplies and maintenance and cleaning of the facility.